Friday, January 13, 2006

Was I born at the wrong time?

Of course I know I wasn’t. God is completely sovereign; I was born precisely when He meant me to be born. I guess I’m just bemoaning the speed and busyness of our society today. There never seems to be enough time for quiet reflection and solitude. We’re always so rushed and hurried; if its not one deadline, its three!

I think back to the time of the traveling preachers like Wesley who would travel from town to town on horseback to preach the Gospel. He probably spent hours and hours alone, sitting on his slow-paced horse, reading and meditating on Scripture. No cell phones, no pagers, no deadlines, no rushing from this appointment to this meeting and so on and so forth.

Is it any wonder why the church is so Biblically ignorant and weak today? Seriously, how much time do we really give to God in quiet study, meditation, and reflection in His word? How much time do we spend praying and interceding for our family, friends, co-workers, neighbors, etc.? We run in circles like there’s no tomorrow… the highest virtue is the ability to multi-task! And for all our rushing around, for all our running around, for all our over-stuffed calendars, are really any better off? I don’t think so.

Well, that’s enough for now… its 7:30 am... so, I’m off to the gym with my cell phone, day planner, and Bible-on-cd... “Lord, help me!”

8 comments:

Drea said...

Oh I know its crazy hun.
I was playing that game on the PS2 last night after taking my late night shower... and any time you save your progress on the game (its a RPG game) it has a number beside the save point. That number represents the time you've spent playing that particular game.
I noticed that my time on my game that I had spent over the weeks since Christmas was 15:00 hours!

Now grant it you divide that by 3 weeks and its not really that much time... but its a lot more time than I feel like I've spent in deep study of the Word.

Its just very easy to get sucked into fast paced things for entertainment or to say "Oh well ill play this game to help wake me up... or help wind me down" rather than reading the Word.

Its sad but I think a lot of Christians do this.
I do know that each time I play this game... and I get to the end of playing it.. and see that number I am reminded that I really should spend more time praying and studying.

Good post honey! I dont think you were born at the wrong time. I just think your somewhat slowly become a TByrd ;-) Hopefully not as busy as him. Otherwise I'll go nuts.
Not to mention you do sorta have a young son... I know when we go out places having a young child can make the hours seemed rushed.... because your always thinking ahead to their nap times... or to their feeding times, etc..etc.. I know that makes me feel rushed a lot any time I go out w/ Caleb.

Okay I am going to eat this fab. cheese toast you just put in front of my face! :-)

Tidy Bowl said...

This reminds me of the time I went to Lifeway to buy a devotional. I went to the aisle with all the devotional books, and I was browsing around... I was looking for something involved, something I could study every day, something that would be at least a half hour or more.

Every single devotional that they had was something like "One year of Two Minute Devotions", "Five Minutes With God", "Change your life in just Two minutes a day", etc. Seriously. Every devotional that they had was what I call a "fast food" devotional. Maybe okay on a few rare occassions but if you "eat" it every day, it is not good for you.

And I remember how disappointed I was. Is that what our world has come to?

Travis or P.T. said...

Tidy...
For the vast majority of us... I would say, "yes."
Sad, isn't it?

MsAmber said...

In your idealizing of Wesley, you forget that he also carried the weight of the burdens laid upon him by all of his parishioners. Alongside his corporeal needs.
A country preacher also carried the burden of being (usually) the most literate. And had to teach and defend the scripture.
All the while he lived in a much more dangerous time. A scratch could be deadly without the advent of penicillin.
Just thought I'd give my perspective about the times. I wish I had lived then, also. But without the knowledge we have now, I probably would have died from my appendicitis at the age of 32, or from infection in the large gash I got in my leg at the age of 20.
You very well could've lost Drea in childbirth.
MsAmber

Travis or P.T. said...

MsAmber...
I know you're right... we have medical advances today that greatly improve our lives and I am definitely thankful for that. In fact, if this had been a 100 years ago, my brother wouldn't be live b/c of his heart condition that he was born with.

I guess I just wish we could live in this era without getting so dog-gone busy. Solitude and meditation upon Scripture are lost disciplines today that desperately need to be restored. I guess I'm still trying to figure it out. :)

Crawley said...

You can live in a fast-paced world with a slow-down attitude. You just have to work hard at not getting sucked in! :)

Drea said...

New post babe new post! :-)

Tidy Bowl said...

I second that motion, Drea!