Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Customers Don't Need Explanations, Just Results.

This morning on the way to the high school with a student of mine, I stopped at a particular fast food place to get some little round hash browns. I normally don’t stop for breakfast, but this morning I was unusually hungry so I decided to stop.



I drove up to the window and placed my order, and then turned to my student and asked if he wanted anything. Without asking me if my order was complete, the employee totaled and finalized my order, and said, “That’ll be $0.79 at the second window.” So, I then politely asked, “Can I get another order of hash browns, please?”

And here was where the employee made the mistake… instead of just saying “yes sir” and doing whatever necessary to get me an additional order, the employee came back over the speaker, “I can’t change an order once it’s been completed.” Now, what was I suppose to think from that comment? Can I not get an additional order of hash browns? Have I just sealed my fate regarding this breakfast stop? Just because the register had been totaled, my desire for 2 rather than one was now impossible… because that was the impression that I got. Oh how tempted I was to respond with, “Ok, I’ll just go down the street to your competitor and see if they can fix my order!” But I didn’t; I refrained from that comment. But I did respond back, “Well, just cancel that order and make a new one,” which was my way of saying, “I don’t care how you fix it or what you have to do… I want two orders rather than one so, just do it!”

Upon pulling around to the window, the employee looked at me and said, “that’ll be $1.59 (for 2 orders),” and then proceeded to tell me about how the order couldn’t be changed until I got to the window… something about other cars being in front of me. But again, I didn’t then and I still don’t care where the problem had to be fixed or what computer they had to use or what the procedures are for changing or correcting orders… all I wanted was 2 hash browns instead of one.

As a faithful, paying customer, I neither desire nor need explanations or excuses… I just want what I ordered… period. When I was working in the public arena a few years ago, and it didn’t matter if it was helping someone with an order of food or loading a bag of concrete or gravel, when the customer wanted or needed something, I said, “yes sir” and then did whatever necessary to deliver. And deep down, I think that’s what all of us consumers want… not excuses, not explanations… just results, plain and simple. I don't know... maybe I just think different.

1 comment:

Drea said...

Ugh I know your pain. Remember that time we went to Taco Bell and I ordered a small pepsi. And I pull up to the window and the guy hands me this jumbo sized pepsi. And I told him I wanted a small... and he looked at me with a snotty look at said "Well I cant change the order." and hand me the super sized drink. I would of never ordered a drink that size... he made the mistake.

Then I look at my ticket and he even charged me for it!

What he should of done was said "Oh I'm sorry Mam. Let me get you a small." Then fix the error on the paper. Its not to hard.

I worked for a food industry before. Two of them. And it was a pain to FIX an order. But it could be done.

Calebs up!