Friday, November 30, 2007

When It's Too Good to be True...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
My Dad use to tell me, "Son, if something seems too good to be true, it probably is (too good to be true that is). Yesterday, I received a cashier's check in the mail for $2800 from some kind of supposed contest or lottery called "Lucky For Life." The $2800 was just the first installment of the $30,000 I had won along with 9 other people. I was immediately suspicious because I have never purchased a lottery ticket and the postage stamp was from Canada.

But of course, I have to admit there was a small part of me that was looking at that check for $2800 and thinking "Wow... I could really use that!" I even went online to see if the bank was a legitmate bank. And it was! I mean, even if the rest of it was a scam and not true... $2800 would be just fine with me. :)

But then I called the Bank in Tyler Texas which the cashier's check was from, and sure enough... it was a fake check and it was a big scam. What they want you to do is to deposit that check in your bank account and then call them with your bank information so that they can "wire the rest to you." Right! The truth is as soon as you give them the account information, your money is as good as gone! So, if any of you out there receive a "Lucky For Life" sweepstakes letter saying you've won a lot of money... Don't buy it. It's all a big scam.

p.s. Found this afterwards... a "Rip-off Report"
http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/287/RipOff0287601.htm

No comments: