Monday, March 17, 2008

The Difference in a Good Business and a Poor One

Photobucket
A few months ago, I joined this gym in Washington. I was going a few times a week. But recently I figured out just how much it was costing me in gas to drive all the way to Washington. Needless to say, I soon came to the conclusion that the cost of the gym membership + the cost in gas every week was just not reasonable for me to do at this time. So, today I went and cancelled the membership. I was on a month to month contract basis. All I had to do was give him 30 days and they would cancel the membership. But the guy who runs the gym (and may own it, not sure) told me that he completely understood and that he would not draft my account for April. Legally and technically, he could draft my account one more time, and he would be totally in the right to do so, but out of the kindness of his heart, he said he wouldn't.

The treatment that I received today was completely different from the treatment I received 8 months ago from a gym in Concord, NC. While we were in Charlotte I joined a gym called Xcel Xpress. I was under the same month to month deal there as I was here. But right before we moved away from Charlotte, I cancelled the membership. When I spoke to the manager, he said my account would be drafted 2 more times (2 more months) because I was supposed to give 60 days notice. Which first of all, doesn't make sense if it is month to month... and second, this is contrary to what I was told at the beginning, which was that I only had to give 30 days notice. But evidently when I signed the contract I didn't look close enough at the fine print. So, they charged me for 2 more months, even though I was living 4 hours away.

Fitness Unlimited cares about it's customers. If they ever open one in our town, I will definitely join again. But regarding Xcel Xpress, I wouldn't join that gym again if it was the only one around. I refuse to patronize any business that cons and deceives people that way. Thank you Fitness Unlimited for caring about your customers!

No comments: