Thursday, March 8, 2007

Who's The Real Man?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The other day while I was waiting for dinner to get done I turned on the TV and watched a sitcom called "Yes Dear." Very rarely do I watch this or any other show simply because I just don't watch that much TV unless it happens to be a movie I want to watch. But I caught this one.

The show was all about how Greg was struggling with his manhood. He, nor the others in his family, thought very much about his manhood since he didn't play any tough sports like football, he is kind of weak, and even a little skiddish. He tried doing things to prove his manhood like playing football with "the guys" and climbing a very tall tree to retrieve the football to prove he was brave, and hince a real man. While trying to comfort his brother-in-law, the other guy (forgot his name) stated that Greg probably couldn't help it; that he had inherited a "wuss" gene. To make a long story short, in the end Greg did "prove" his manhood by punching a huge guy in the face to get to his toddler before he ate a peanut candy bar, which he is deathly allergic to.

But the reason, I'm writing about this show is because it is a perfect example of how really twisted and screwed up hollywood is when it comes to values and what is important. Supposely Greg isn't a real man because he doesn't play the tough sports or do the rough and tough manly things, while his brother-in-law is a real man because he does do those things. Even though it is it Greg who (on the show) is working, being responsible, and providing a home for his family, while the brother-in-law is living under Greg's roof like a bum and a moocher. He can't find a good enough job to support his family because he was just a big drinker and partier who goofed off in school and barely graduated. But he is the real man... because he can drink beer and play tough football. He can't stand on his own, support his family, or hold a adequate job, but he is the real man.

Sadly, this is probably the way many in our culture believe. It's no wonder boys are growing up confused and unprepared for life and all it's challenges; they don't even know what being a real man is. My boys will know because I'm going to train them, and it will begin when they are very young... and you can trust it won't be hollywood's definition of manhood that I use!

1 comment:

OMH said...

That is exactly how I've felt everytime I've watched that sitcom. Greg is the one I would prefer to have as my mate - he provides for his family - loves and supports his wife enough to allow her sister and bum of a husband (and all three kids) live in his home.

Well said! May God continue to bless you on the new path your walking.