Friday, July 24, 2009

Seniors and Obama's Healthcare Proposals

I guess I'm a little surprised that more senior citizens aren't concerned about this new government ran healthcare system that the President is pushing. Under the current situation, seniors probably have the best access to free medical care as anybody through Medicare and Medicaid. But will that continue if these new proposals go into effect? Not likely.

Currently there are approximately 800,000 doctors struggling to care for some 250 million Americans with insurance. And when I say struggling, I mean it... my personal doctor has so many senior patients I have to wait days to see him when I need to. So, what is going to happen when 50+ million more patients are added to the system without a growth in the number of medical professionals? Doctors who are already swamped are going to be even more swamped. Forget waiting days or a few weeks to get much needed tests or check-ups... we will be waiting months, and in some cases years. We see this happening right now in Canada and England.

Did you know that there is a 25% high death rate in Canada for colon cancer than the USA? Why? Because of limited colonoscopies. Did you know that the death rate for cancer is 16% higher in Canadan than the USA? Why? Again, limited procedures... limited space... limited doctors. When there is an overwhelming demand and minimal amount of service providers of course rationing is going to take place.

So, when a 40 year old and a 65 year old both need knee replacements, who will most likely get it?
When an elderly person and a young person both need hip replacement, who will most likely get it?
Who will have priority in the operating room, a 70 year old diabetic or a 35 year old healthy individual?

I know our current system is not perfect... believe me, I can't stand paying over $600 a month just so I can get reduced rates when I go to the doctor every once in a blue moon! But if the gov't has any kind of track record for running anything... it is terrible!! And I just hate to see what's going to happen when they do this. Of course, we can already see what's going to happen... just look at the countries who are already doing this. I marvel at how moronic some people can be!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pastor Travis - I love reading Drea and your blogs. This one time I have to disagree with you . . . it was bound to happen;-)
I am a Canadian, so therefore I think I can speak as someone with knowledge of the Canadian Healthcare system. It's not perfect of course, we have our issues, but I am amazed at how deceptive the reports are that I see and hear about on American Cable News and in particular, FoxNews. I like FoxNews for the most part and I watch a lot of American news - on this one they are wrong. I find it rather upsetting how they are demonizing our system like that.

We really do have good quality Healthcare here - I know, because I use it. I have family who really need it and have benefitted tremendously from it -without being spending a horrific amount of money out of their own pockets which they couldn't afford.

I would much rather have a system like we have here in Canada - albeit one with problems, where every citizen is taken care of, even our most unfortunate (the poor) than one like you have in America. I really love America, but I strongly believe with Healthcare, you've got it wrong. We get to sleep better at night here knowing our poor are taken care of - their health anyway . . .

My opinion on this is that Obama has at least ONE good idea since taking office. I'm not at all for any of his other policies so far, but this one, I think the Dems are heading in the right direction . . .

It's something definately worth spending money on - bailing out Chrysler, not so much - Healthcare, absolutely YES!

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but I had to comment . . .

I can't believe I've found something to disagree with you on. Now I need something to disagree with Drea - hee-hee :-)

- Sandie