Monday, April 10, 2006

Being a Dad

Mood:Image hosting by Photobucket Content


Image hosting by Photobucket

One of the things my little boy likes to do every now and then is to watch teletubbies. Personally, I hate the teletubbies... there are so many other things I would rather be doing than watching teletubbies. But sometimes I sit down and I watch teletubbies. Why? B/c Caleb likes to watch teletubbies. This what it means to be a Dad... sometimes you have to sacrifice. Sure there are plenty of things that I enjoy and that I'd rather be doing, but I sacrifice what I want for time with Caleb.

This is probably one of the most important things we can do as Dads is to spend time with our kids. They don't need a lot of fancy toys and every new thing that comes out on the market. They need us... they need our time, our attention, our encouragement, our affirmation of them, and our love.

As a pastor, that is one thing that I'm always concerned about in the back of my mind. I don't want to get so focused on ministry and being busy with church stuff or ministering to other people that my own family gets neglected. I think that happens way too often, and its the biggest reason PK's (preacher's kids) grow up resenting their Dad, despising the church, and rebelling against God. That's why I'm like a Nazi when it comes to my calendar; I'm super organized when it comes to my time. I have an average week on my palm with usual activities blocked off to keep me on track. I have Bible study time, exercising time, ministry time, I even have "me time"... but I also have plenty of family time. I just absolutely refuse to get so busy that I do nothing but run around like a chicken with its head cut off being busy in ministry. That would be detrimental to me and to my family.... and ultimately to the church as well.

Being a dad means A LOT of sacrifice... it means doing things you don't particularly enjoy. For sure being a Dad has been the most challenging and the most enlightening thing I have ever experienced... but it has also been the most enjoyable experience as well... and I wouldn't trade it for anything!

Oh yeah... We also enjoy playing video games :)

Image hosting by Photobucket

6 comments:

Drea said...

Hi :-)
You dont like the teletubbies? I thought you did.... ;-)
Wont be to long and he wont like those types of shows any though. So lets look forwards to the Disney days and saturday morning cartoons :-)

Now I know playing the video games together you enjoy.

I'm glad you work hard ... but at the same time spend a good amount of time with us two.
It means a lot to us both.

Love,
Andrea

Travis or P.T. said...

Sweetheart, you don't have to defend me... I appreciate it and I love you, but it's ok.
:)

kole said...

In that first picture, it's the perfect depiction of the American zombie family. Like sheep being lead to the slaughter...

kannan said...

Dear Mr.Travis& family, LORD JESUS bless you!-Kannan-
http://makadelhi.tripod.com
http://kannan8620.blogspot.com
http://makadelhi.tripod.com/album

Travis or P.T. said...

Hi Kannan,
Thanks for the comment.. May our Lord Jesus richly bless you too!

kannan said...

Dear Brother in CHRIST, I am thankful to God for your simple and humble life.Pl. pray for my parents to be saved.(They are Hindus)-Kannan