Sunday, December 11, 2005

The Most Popular - Most Misunderstood Bible Verse

I know what you’re thinking, John 3:16 has got to be the most popular. Wrong! It’s Matthew 7:1. This verse is probably quoted more often than any other passage in the Bible, by Christians and non-Christians alike. And what is this beloved passage? You’ll know it as soon as I begin…
“Judge not, that you be not judged.” See, I told you, you'd know it. And why is this passage the most beloved, most quoted verse in the entire Bible? Because it can be taken out of context and misused very easily to justify any and all sinful behavior. Christians will often quote it as soon as a fellow brother or sister in Christ confronts them about an area of sin in their life, and non-Christians will use it every time they’re confronted with the Biblical truth that they’re lost sinners needing salvation. “How dare you call me a sinner? How dare you try to judge me, you arrogant twit!?” That’s generally the response you get.

Basically, this boils down to Matt.7:1, becoming the end-all verse that stops dead in its tracks, any attempt to be a loving, caring, discerning, and yes… Biblical Christian. Is this really what Jesus meant? Did He really mean that we can never approach a brother or sister in Christ about sin in their life? If so, then why did He give instructions for doing it in Matt.18:15-17, 1 Corinthians 5, and Galatians 6:1-5?

Did Jesus really mean that we can’t ever know who is really on God’s side and who is not? If so, then why did He say just a few verses later speaking of false teachers, “you will know them by their fruit.” Jesus, you mean, I’m to examine the fruit of a “professing” Christian’s life and compare to your Word to see if its real or not? But that’s making a judgment, Jesus? How could I ever tell another human being that they’re wrong?... that they’re life is not matching up with their "profession"? But even more important than that… Why would you ever want me to do such an unloving, supposedly “un-Christian” thing as pointing out the sin in another person’s life? Should I not be much more loving and kind and just take them for their word? Why in the world would you ever want me to do such a thing, Jesus?!

“Again the word of the Lord came to me, saying,… you, son of man: I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; therefore you shall hear a word from My mouth and warn them for Me. When I say to the wicked, ‘O wicked man, you shall surely die!’ and you do not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood I will require at your hand. Nevertheless if you warn the wicked to turn from his way, and he does not turn from his way, he shall die in his iniquity; but you have delivered your soul.”
(Ezekiel 33:1,7-9)

You see, in reality, the most loving, caring, and yes, Biblical thing we can do, as Christians, is to warn people regarding their sin and the terrible judgment and wrath to come. Matt.7:1 is not the end-all verse commanding us that it is never appropriate to be discerning, judging, and yes, even confronting from time to time. Jesus was simply warning us about having a harsh, condemning, and critical spirit that finds fault in everything and everyone, even to the point of trying to cast judgment on another person’s motives, which no man can do. As the Scriptures tell us, confronting those who are lost, and helping to bear the burdens of our brothers and sisters in Christ actually fulfills the “law of Christ,” which is the law of love.

15 comments:

Drea said...

Hahahaha

MsAmber said...

I second Drea's hahahaha.

That was well put, Travis.
But I thought it meant:
"He who lives in a glass house shouldn't throw stones."
Judging others by a standard that even the judger would come up short on.
All sin being equal in the eyes of God.

MsAmber

MsAmber said...

Ah, but then you would make the arguement against you so much stronger.
So then you live a "superior" lifestyle, as an example of how to live a christian life, so that you can preach without being a hypocrit. But your credibility goes down in the eyes of the sinning masses when you start becoming too perfect - too judgemental.
We like our preachers to have warts.
Years ago, my father and I had an arguement...
I like to drink a beer every now and then. I don't get drunk, and I wouldn't get drunk in front of my father even if I could.
My dad said to me that he likes a beer just as much as the next guy, but what if one of the younger guys at the church saw him in the store buying a six pack, and said to himself: "If it's ok for Mr.A. to do it, I can too." And then my father elaborated on the "what if"s illogically until it twisted around to become my father's fault that the man became a drunk and lost his family and his house and was lying in a gutter somewhere, regretting ever buying that first 6 pack of Bud.
I argued that he had no right to carry that burden, if God decided to teach that young man a lesson in humility and take him down, that's between Him and God. It has nothing to do with whether or not a good christian man drinks a dadgummed beer.
These are the reasons that more open-minded folk are naturally combative to the ultra-religious group.
My dad and I will drink a beer together now. We never finish a 6 pack.
MsAmber

Tidy Bowl said...

MsAmber,
Keep in mind, as well, that every judgement God has already made (via the Bible) applies to me as well as the world. I can't name all the sins I've committed during my lifetime. However, the Bible says that God abhors (for example) lying, and I know that I have lied before. God abhors pride, and I have been overly proud before. God abhors jealousy, and I have been jealous before. When I stand before God in judgement, I will have to answer for all my sins.

MsAmber, I do not live a "superior" lifestyle. I freely admit to being a hypocrite. I only live my life in pursuit of Jesus Christ, as best as I can.

Travis, thanks for explaining the 1 Corinthians 8 passage. I absolutely agree with you. Sometimes it is alright to participate in particular behaviors, but out of love for our brothers and sisters, sometimes it is best for us to abstain from particular behaviors.

crallspace said...

Thank you for including "you will know them by their fruits." Now, I can look to you with 100% confidence and know not to listen to you.

You are hardly an example of Christ's love. You think that because you have your own interpretation all figured out that you are infallible and that you can blast everyone with your beliefs. In reality (and most people can see this) you are an angry, judgmental and hateful person. Thanks again for including the "you will know them by their fruits" part. I now can look at your murderous president who you call "a man of integrity," and know him by his fruit, or lack thereof. 2 rotten, hellbound peas in a pod.

Travis or P.T. said...

You sound a little angry Crall...
Are you under conviction?
Jesus can solve that for ya, dude. Praying for ya! :)

MsAmber said...

The eating of the meat that was sacrificed to idols ...

This is (in my extrapolation)because the eating of meat from the sacrifices would be a contrived insult to the converted brother's former beliefs.
1 Corinthians 10:32 Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor the Gentiles, nor to the church of God.
Like, If I converted a Catholic to Baptist, and then this person saw me slapping the Virgin Mary statue around. That would be cruel. It means that I have no respect for the sanctity of their previous belief. That could make your brother stumble.

And I have to fuss about 1 Corinthians.
This is an attempt by Paul to expand on his new religious dogma, to preside as judge over issues that the Church didn't know how to address.
Paul should've asked the Talmud.

And a major theme with Paul, is the designation of Sanctified (saints) persons.
Sounds kinda like the Mormons with their Sanctified underwear.

When I am dealing with the New Testament, I really consider the personality of the Author.
See: 1 Corinthians 5:4,5
Did he just tell them to destroy the flesh of the sinner? The sin being: Corinth fornication had gotten so bad that a boy would lay with his father's wife and no-one was shocked?

I know my response veered a little from the original post. But I do like to know the disciple who's writing is being quoted.

MsAmber

MsAmber said...

Without using scripture to villify scripture. I know that a fundamental part of Christianity is accepting/agreeing that the Bible is the unpolluted and inspired works directly from the Holy Spirit.
I don't further that dogma.
The reason being: there ARE corrupted versions of the bible. I can show that several versions were gathered by King James' scribes and they consolidated the most likely and burned the rest. Giving us the diluted "Textus Majorus".
So corruption of the WORD has crept in before.
And even now. We have The Good News bible, and other modern day translations. Which are essentially, translations of translations.
The bible being unchanged, unmolested, and pure is a concept I have always disagreed with.
I know it is a fundamental basis in most christian beliefs that the Word of God cannot be corrupted.
When I read the Greek interlinear KJV, I see discrepancies between it and my other KJV.
I've also heard preachers expound on a word in the bible and tell us what it "really means".
I have much more faith in the purity of the Word in the Old Testament than I do in the New.
Putting that assumption aside.
What about Revelations?
John was imprisoned. Sick, underfed, and tortured. He had a dream... A Revelation.
It made a horrific story that would scare the sinners straight.
But!
I was commanded in the Old Testament, not to consult with soothsayers and fortune tellers because there will be no new prophets.
God commanded this to keep us from following false prophets that are meant to deceive us.
Remember "The Great Deception"?
It is a recurring theme throughout the bible.

Looking forward to your answer.
With sincere admiration,
MsAmber

Drea said...

Travis post a new post ;-)

Travis or P.T. said...

Thank you. :)

crallspace said...

Not angry Travis... just don't like the holier than thou types.

When people pray for me, I can feel it... quit lying.

You got Timmer visiting now, eh? Beware... he runs a "grown-up" blog. I am shivvering now. He is smarter than anyone... and ya know why?> He served in the military. Everyone bow down.

Travis or P.T. said...

Well, Crall...
Something must be wrong with your "feeler" b/c I have been praying for you, and I'm going to keep praying for you.

I almost went to the military. I wanted to be a soldier all my life, but God had other plans... He wanted me in the ministry instead. But I still greatly admire those who will make the sacrifice to serve their country.

crallspace said...

Travis, you say you are praying for me, following a sarcastic wink and a "feeling convicted? Angry?"

Nice example. I feel awful for the people you will alienate to Christ's love through your poor, poor example, should you ever have any influence in the ministry. Again, thanks for setting an example.

crallspace said...

I don't think you understand... I appreciate prayers as much as the next person, but on a person to person level, I like a nice example. I want to see Christ through one who claims to be a Christian.

So before you gon on praying for some guy in Oregon who keeps a blog that covers subject matter that is not your cup of tea, consider setting a nice example. first step- stop blasting me with your religious convictions. It's not helping your case. God speaks to us in different ways.

Kaitlyn... said...

I'm pretty much lost...